Sellers on MyDeal must comply with our Banned Products Policy. A ban applies to certain small, high powered magnets Australia. The requirements of the ban are set out in Consumer Protection Notice No. 5 of 2012 and covers separable magnets that:
- are small enough to fit into the small parts cylinder used in the mandatory standard for toys for children up to and including 36 months of age;
- have a magnetic flux of greater than 50;
- are marketed by the supplier as, or supplied for use as any of the following:
- a toy, game or puzzle
- a construction or modelling kit
- jewellery to be worn in or around the mouth or nose.
If these magnets are swallowed by children, they can pose a choking hazard, or stick together across the lining of the intestines or other parts of the digestive system causing significant injuries similar to gunshot wounds which can even cause death in small children.
Sellers are prohibiting from manufacturing, importing or selling these small high-powered magnets. Sellers who sell these products on MyDeal are in breach of our Banned Products Policy and face having their seller account closed.
Understand your obligations
Sellers need ensure they are familiar with our Banned Products Policy and the requirements of Consumer Protection Notice No. 5 of 2012.
Ensure you do not sell any banned products.
Sellers must ensure they do not sell any banned products, including small, magnetic toys and other products captured by the ban.