Salt Lamps Safety Bulletin
Salt Lamp Safety Requirements
IMPORTANT NOTE: Salt lamps powered directly by 240Vac have been banned from sale in Australia due to new government regulations taking effect from 1 January 2020.
The only versions that will be legal to sell will be those that meet the specific electrical safety requirements for Salt Lamps.
Salt lamps must be tested and certified to AS/NZS 60598.2.4: 2019.
As a seller on MyDeal, you are obliged to comply with the requirements set out in the bans and ensure products covered by the bans are not offered for sale or supply. Failure to meet the requirements of the bans may result in suspension of offering products or your store, or termination of your store account from MyDeal.
Why was the ban introduced?
Non-approved and unsafe Salt Lamps can cause severe injuries or death. Salt Lamps now have specific government electrical safety requirements applied. Products that do not meet these requirements will be removed.
NOTE: These requirements are mandatory government regulatory requirements that apply to all Salt Lamps offered by suppliers and sellers in Australia.
What’s required by the bans?
Product Safety Requirements:
Salt lamps are a level 3 (declared) electrical device and require testing and independent certification by a recognised and certified Australian or New Zealand certification body.
Compliance from 1 January 2020 - salt lamps must be tested and certified to AS 60598.2.4: 2019 and have been issued with a Certificate of Conformity and registered on the EESS equipment register.
AS 60598.2.4: 2019 includes additional requirements for salt lamps including: -
Design and construction
- Salt lamps shall operate from a power supply part giving a voltage not exceeding 24 V SELV.
- The power supply part shall be-
- a safety isolating transformer in accordance with AS/NZS 61558.1 and AS/NZS 61558.2 or AS/NZS 61558.2.16 (for switch mode types (SWMP); or
- an independent lamp control gear providing SELV in accordance with AS/NZS 61347.1 and AS/NZS 61347.2 or AS/NZS 61347.2.13 (for LED modules)
- The power supply shall be permanently connected to the salt lamp via a flexible cable or cord with a type Z attachment. The attachment at the power supply part shall be in accordance with the degree of protection IPX4 or better.
- The total length of the SELV non-detachable flexible cable or cord shall be at least 1.8 m
- Salt lamps shall be provided with a switch. This switch shall be part of the luminaire or, if in the cord, shall be within 300 mm of the salt lamp.
- The part of Class III construction shall not exceed 5 kg.
Note: SELV means - safety extra low voltage (ELV in a circuit which is insulated from the mains supply by an insulation not less than that between the primary and secondary circuits of a safety isolating transformer).
Markings and instructions
Salt lamps shall be supplied with instructions including the following warnings: -
Understand your obligations
You must familiarise yourself with the requirements of the bans. For more information, see here.
Ensure your products on MyDeal meet the requirements
You must ensure you check your currently selling products, and ensure you do not offer any products that are covered by the bans. This means you must check each product and ensure that those that do not comply are not sold on MyDeal.
Selling products that do not comply with mandatory standards or bans is a breach of our Policies and our Seller terms and Conditions. Any sellers that fail to ensure they are compliant with the bans, or any other legal or safety requirements risk being banned from selling any products on MyDeal.